2017 Château La Mission Haut-Brion Pessac-Léognan red
Château La Mission Haut-Brion is not that much older than Château Haut-Brion, been linked in some way since 1540 when the merchant Arnaud de Lestonnac bought a plot of land known as Les Arregedhuys, which became the starting point for La Mission Haut-Brion. After he died in 1548, his fourth son, Pierre, took over the business.
In 1572, Pierre became a jury of Bordeaux, deciding to undertake the construction of buildings on the estate, a house and a cellar. His legacy was passed on to his daughter, Olive, who devoted her life and fortune to various philanthropic and religious activities.
Olive de Lestonnac died at 80. His will has revealed his intention to donate his fortune to religious causes, adding up to a colossal amount for the time. This annuity led to the birth of La Mission Haut-Brion when it was transferred in 1682 to the Lazarists of Bordeaux, also known as the Priests of the Mission. Thus was born La Mission Haut-Brion, then owned by the Catholic Church.