Quinta do Noval is distinguished by the beauty of its terraces, its house, its warehouse and its typical mills, which are still in current use. First referenced in 1715, the Quinta do Noval was acquired in 1894 by António José da Silva, that developed the quinta during three decades. Their descendants (recently, the family van Zeller) retained the quinta until 1993, the year that was acquired by AXA. In 1997, the Quinta do Noval pioneered to centralize all its activities in the DouroValley, rather than in Vila Nova de Gaia. The wine Quinta do Noval Nacional 1963, produced in this vineyards and mills, was elected by Wine Spectator, as one of the 12 best wines of the XX century.