Quinta do Cardo is located near to Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo’s village in the Beira Interior region. The vines, planted at an average altitude of 750 meters above sea level, are protected by the Marofa and Castelo Rodrigo mountains, and surrounded by the Douro, Côa and Agueda rivers. With a total area of 180 hectares (445 acres), the property has 69 hectares (170 acres) of organically certified vineyards, with the remaining property hosting an extensive reserve of cork trees and spontaneous forest. The first vines were planted in 1932 and the wine quality recognition has been developing over the years. Companhia das Quintas acquired the property in 2001, keeping the undisputed quality of whites, but also highlighting the quality of reds. With an unusual style in Portuguese wine scenario, the red wines from Quinta do Cardo show all the potential from this region.