1961 Château Lynch-Bages Pauillac red
Although there are records of the Bages territory predating the 16th century, the history of wine production in the region began in the 18th century. From 1749 to 1824, the vineyards were owned by Thomas Lynch, the son of an Irishman from Galway who worked as a merchant in Bordeaux. Thomas Lynch managed this land wisely and produced high-quality wines under the name ''Cru de Lynch''. Later, Jean "Lou Janou" Cazes, a "Montagnol", a term used to describe the farmers of the austere Ariège valleys, came to the Médoc to earn his living. In the 1930s, General Félix de Vial, a descendant of the Cayrou family, leased the vineyard to Jean-Charles Cazes, son of Lou Janou and farmer at Château Ormes de Pez in Saint-Estèphe. Cazes bought both properties at the beginning of the Second World War. Lynch-Bages has been run by the Cazes family ever since.