1987 Herdade de Espirra red
The first reference we have of the Herdade de Espirra is due to José Maria dos Santos (1832-1913), a former owner and a Portuguese visionary farmer responsible for planting, in the end of the 19th century, in the region of the Península de Setúbal, the largest vine Contiguous plant in the world, totaling 2,400 hectares. Later, in 1872, the entire vineyard was destroyed during the Phylloxera epidemic and, therefore, was converted into forest crops. The current owner of Herdade de Espirra, Portucel, acquired the property in 1985, having restructured the existing vineyard and recovered the social facilities that were in a state of degradation, including the wine cellar itself, thus providing conditions for wine production to be assumed with great rigor and professionalism. Its purpose is to produce and commercialize Espirra wine, respecting the traditional cultures and practices of the region.